Choosing a fresh new style and approach to your home décor can be just the thing your home needs for a New Year refresh. If you feel as though the energy or flow of your home can be improved upon, you might benefit from examining the ancient Chinese philosophy of Feng Shui. Feng Shui’s guiding principle dictates that one should live in harmony and prosperity with their environment, which can also apply to home furnishings and décor.
The art of Feng Shui also takes a unique approach when it comes to windows. Windows aren’t simply referred to as windows, but are instead considered to be the “eyes of the home” and are directly linked to your ability to see clearly in life. Given that windows are such an important part of observing the art, practitioners of Feng Shui must take great care when selecting window treatments so as not to negatively impact the energy that permeates their living space.
Considerations and Guidelines
One important thing to remember when choosing window blinds, motorized shades, or any other window covering for your home, is that maximum harmony is achieved by allowing in an abundance of natural light during the day and providing privacy at night. For some, finding this balance can be difficult, but it is essential if the goal is to create good energy in your space regardless of the time of day.
During the day, a light and airy window treatment that allows energy (or “Chi”, as it is more commonly referred to) to flow easily throughout your home is ideal. At night of course, a solid fabric is best to maximize privacy.
If this is your first time exploring Feng Shui, you might be tempted to overthink it, so it should be noted here that the best application of Feng Shui involves a light touch; remember that Feng Shui is, at its core, about peace and balance. Here are a few other things to remember when shopping for Feng Shui-minded window coverings for your home:
- Be mindful when selecting your colour palette. You want the colour to work in harmony with the room’s décor, not compete with it.
- If you’re considering a bold pattern for your window coverings, make sure that it expresses the correct Feng Shui element according to the bagua map.
Types and Materials
You might think that given the goals associated with a Feng Shui optimized space, the types of window coverings that you have to choose from are limited. But, this is farther from the truth. It’s important to note, however, there are some materials that are viewed more kindly than others when considering Feng Shui.
- If you want to install window blinds, choose an option that is made from an organic material like wood instead of plastic or metal.
- Consider each room separately – what works in one room may not be appropriate in another. For example, in your bedroom, you’ll likely want fabric curtains made from a light and flowing fabric which will provide a soft, nourishing energy in this contemplative space.
- Always be willing to experiment! Take a chance on a non-conventional window treatment style or material. You might surprise yourself with a window covering that positively enhances your home’s Chi.
Other Key Considerations
Feng Shui represents a unique approach to decorating your home that takes home design to a level beyond simply finding elements that look good together. Here are a few more tips to consider if you decide to take a Feng Shui approach in your home:
- Make sure the window coverings you choose are easy to open and close. Struggling with pull cords located in difficult to reach places can create bad energy, as well as pose a safety hazard to small children and pets. In fact, by 2021 Health Canada will restrict the length of the cords and the size of the loops found on window coverings sold in Canada.
- Allow as much natural light to enter the space during the day as possible to maximize the amount of positive energy allowed to enter your home.
- Keep your windows dust and streak free, as doing so maximizes the Chi that passes through.
- When buying drapes, make sure that they are sized appropriately so that they frame the window well. If possible, take measurements in order to obtain drapes that have been customized for your home and ensure you purchase corresponding drapery tracks to suit your space.
Taking a new approach and implementing elements of Feng Shui into your home design and decorating is one worth exploring, especially if you feel your home needs an injection of positive vibes and energy. There’s no better time than the start of a new year to integrate some harmony, peace and positive energy.